Florida Child Support Enforcement – How To Get Help!

The Florida Child Support Enforcement is operated by the Florida Department of Revenue. The United States Department of Human Services has established a program in 1975 to ensure that parents court ordered child support in all states including Florida Child Support enforcement is taken seriously and there are a lot of consequences to a parent that isn’t paying. A parent is obligated to pay and abide by a child support order. The Federal government operates the FPLS which is a Federal Parent Locator service, if the parent “disappears”. This is a national registry as well as a National Directory of New Hires (NDNH). Every employer is expected to fill out a form when they have a new employee. Income withholding is the first step to Florida child support enforcement. If a parent is in arrears, then other methods are carried out.


The Florida Department of Revenue has forms to file to request the court’s help for collecting child support. Keeping good records is essential to filing with the courts. Accurate accounting and vital information will be required. The more pertinent details you can provide is helpful. You may enlist a good law firm or family law attorney to assist in this process. Florida Child Support Enforcement division has specific information required to enforce the child support obligation.  The parent in arrears may have financial accounts, bank accounts and other assets seized. Any federal or state tax refunds may be used to offset any arrears. Licenses may be suspended or revoked. These would include driver license, recreational as well as professional. If the parent in arrears loses a driver license, it will be difficult to get to work. Losing an insurance or broker’s license may adversely affect operating a business and eliminate income. Although this is a way to capture the attention and make them “learn a lesson”, it might be wise to let that parent know that you will be filing an action to compel them to pay. Let the party know that the Florida child support enforcement will do their job! Obviously some parents procrastinate or flat out refuse to cooperate. If there is an underlying reason for failure to pay (illness, job loss, foreclosure, downsizing, stock market crash or some other financial disaster) discussing the matter may help find a solution. Perhaps knowing that the Florida child support enforcement will be involved will encourage the paying parent to find a way to become current (working another job, borrowing the money or selling something). Any negotiation must be court ordered! Some cases, it is not possible to discuss anything with the other parent and it may be downright dangerous. Don’t take unnecessary chances. Your attorney can advise what to do. Sometimes the court will order a mediator to negotiate issues before having an evidentiary hearing to find a solution. None of this usually excuses failing to follow a court order and make payments. In some cases, the custodial parent may be forced to seek government assistance. The public assistance program offered in Florida requires the parent requesting a subsidy to cooperate fully with the Florida child support enforcement to locate and enforce the absent parent to pay the child support obligation.

As with any legal issue, it is advised that a competent law firm be consulted (or a family law attorney) to ensure your rights are protected. If you cannot afford an attorney, the Florida courts may be able to assist in a low cost or free lawyer. There is a lot of information available online and in the county clerk’s offices to educate you as to what avenue is available in working with the Florida child support enforcement department. this blog is not meant to take the place of legal advice, just offering information and opinions of the writer.

Florida Child Support Enforcement – Making Payments

If your child lives in Florida child support enforcement will ensure you are financially supporting them. A Florida Court order will determine how much money should be paid. Initially, it will be established that you are the parent. If you are married to the mother it is assumed that you are the father. In extraordinary … Continue reading